Monday, August 4, 2014

Realignment


If you've been wondering why I've been unavailable for the past week it's because I've been out of town. Well, more like out of the country. Like in Mexico... helping orphans.... Are you impressed?

When I agreed to attend the 2014 Asay family reunion last year, I had no idea that it would land a week before my book release and send us far off the grid. As I realized that the dates were so close, I balked. How could I step away from my home, my book-related work and....and....wi-fi for a whole week just before Heart of Annihilation hit the shelves?! Even to help Mexican orphans.

I whined, complained, stressed and probably even cried a little until my husband gave me the option to back out of the trip. It was then that I realized that I really did want to go. I wanted to spend time with my children and help those in need. Honestly I think I really needed to get away from my life. So I contacted my publisher and, being the fantastic company that they are, they suggested that I go on the trip. The book was in good hands and would be here when I got back. So I packed my small children off to my parents house and my larger children in the car and we headed to Mexico.
We roughed it in little adobe bunk houses near the orphanage


 I worked on a massive mural and helped build a rock wall.

We went took the orphans to the beach...
...played with kids...



...ate with kids...
...fed the homeless, learned some spanish, tried some great food, sweated a whole lot, killed a ton of bugs, shared two toilets and three showers among fifty people, and fell into bed each night exhausted. 

Publishing this book has been an all encompassing task. I've slept, ate and drank it. I've obsessed over every detail and let it take over my life. Going to Mexico really pulled me out of my rut. I couldn't work on anything book related, so I didn't. I was able to look outside myself. I was able to separate the things of most importance and prioritize. I'm still tired from the week and thrilled to be back in the states. I'm so grateful for my life and the opportunities I have in this country.

I'm ready to get down to the nitty gritty publishing related work and get this book released tomorrow. But I will be doing it from a different perspective.

Realignment complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment